Metro Area Hot-zones can provide a host of benefits to cities and municipalities, whether improving upon existing governmental systems, or adding new services and systems that can improve productivity, benefit residents, enable revitalization of city gathering areas, and make the city a more attractive location for tourists or conventioneers. Metro Area WiFi Hot-zones can provide cities and municipalities with a host of benefits, for example:
• City wide high-speed Internet access for residents, businesses, and government organizations
• Ad-hoc networks for conventions, festivals, special events or emergencies
• Improve security by deploying of city-wide security and surveillance systems
• Provide continuous updates for public transportation such as buses and trains that can be monitored wirelessly.
• Increase productivity by giving city employees network access while working in the field
• Improve service and shorten response times by monitoring utilities and other municipal services more closely in real time
Municipal councils and local government can leverage the same Hot-zone network to generate multiple sources of revenue without additional capital expenditure. In addition, there can opportunities for cost savings for automated services. Internet access via the Hot-zone can be monetized to provide additional revenue which can offset the cost of the installation or provide additional recurring revenue for use in other capital projects.